- International Arbitration
- International Commercial Contracts
- Austrian Bar Exam with distinction, Vienna Bar Association, Austria
- University of Vienna, Austria, Master's degree in Law (Mag.iur.)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), UK, LL.M. (with merit)
- Mehrparteienschiedsvereinbarung (together with Nikolaus Vavrovsky, Stefan Riegler, Alexander Zollner), in: Nueber (Hrsg.), Handbuch Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit und ADR (2021), LexisNexis ARD ORAC
- Chambers Global Practice Guide: Litigation 2019 (2) - Law and Practice in Austria
- PSL LexisNexis News Analysis: A reflection on the Czech Republic's solar investment arbitration successes (10/2019)
- Chambers Global Practice Guide: International Arbitration 2019 (2) - Law and Practice in Austria
- Intra-EU Disputes under the Energy Charter Treaty: Quo Vadis?, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (08/2019)
- Chambers Global Practice Guide: Litigation 2019 - Law and Practice in Austria
- Arbitrating Climate Change-Related Disputes, Corporate Disputes Jan-Mar 2019, 150 et seq (together with Nikolaus Vavrovsky)
- Chambers Global Practice Guide: International Arbitration 2019 - Law and Practice in Austria
- Brace for Impact? Examining the reach of Achmea vs Slovakia, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (06/2018)
- Fair behandelt trotz ungleicher Fristen im Schiedsverfahren (OGH 7.9.2017, 18 ONc 1/17t), ecolex 1/2018, 40 et seq (together with Nikolaus Vavrovsky)
- Austria: Insurance & Reinsurance, International Comparative Legal Guides, The In-House Lawyer (2017) (together with Philipp Strasser)
- Sleeping Beauty No More – Investor-State Dispute Settlement, Schoenherr Roadmap, 2016 (together with Anne-Karin Grill)
German, English, French
- Regional Representative of the Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG) of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), Regional Representative, Willem C. Vis Moot
- Mentor at the Moot Alumni Association Mentorship Program
- Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP)
- Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage Below 40 (ASAb40)
- Deutsche Initiative junger Schiedsrechtler (DIS40)
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- LSE Alumni
- Moot Alumni Association
- Speaker at the ICC YAF Conference "Getting to grips with complexity in construction arbitration", May 2022
- Speaker at the Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners' 15th Anniversary Conference in Vienna, November 2019
- Lecturer at the Certified Training Course on Domestic and International Commercial Arbitration, Indian Council of Arbitration / Swiss Arbitration Academy, Mumbai, November 2018
- Regular speaker on international dispute resolution, in particular investment arbitration; most recently at Humboldt University Berlin (2015) and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in Budapest (2016)
Florian Stefan is a partner at Vavrovsky Heine Marth Rechtsanwälte. He has extensive experience representing clients in both commercial and investment treaty arbitrations across a broad range of industries (including telecommunications, energy, infrastructure, technology and real estate) and under the rules of leading arbitral institutions. He holds master’s degrees from the University of Vienna and the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). Florian is admitted to the Austrian bar.
Besides his international arbitration work, Florian is regularly providing advice on drafting and negotiating international commercial contracts, with a particular focus on complex license and distribution agreements.
Who’s Who Legal ranks him as Future Leader in Arbitration and praises him as "highly competent arbitration practitioner". The directory underlines that Florian "is exceptionally experienced in international disputes", and "cool headed and sharp minded". The Legal 500 EMEA 2022 highlights his expertise and strategic skills: "Florian Stefan is a talented and very analytical arbitration lawyer with a great lookout in complex matters. He is sharp, has a vast understanding of the legal and economic context and is able to proficiently identify successful strategies for handling a dispute."
Florian’s recent counsel work includes representing a group of international shareholders in a post-M&A dispute before the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), a Polish real estate developer in a shareholders’ dispute before the Permanent Arbitration Court at the Croatian Chamber of Commerce (PAC-CCC) and a French technology company in a contractual dispute before the Vienna International Arbitration Centre. In addition to representing parties, he also acts as (sole) arbitrator.
Florian acts as Regional Representative of the Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG) of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) for the Willem C. Vis Moot. He has published various works in the field of international arbitration and is a regular contributor to the Kluwer Arbitration Blog. Furthermore, he frequently speaks at conferences and teaches training courses and workshops on international arbitration.